In this day in time, our world is so globally connected that being more than one culture is not a rare thing. I have met people who are multicultural & embrace them all with joy & pride. I have met many, many others who are two or more cultures that replace one or two & identify with one. There is nothing wrong with what culture you identify yourself with, but to me being a part of two fills my heart with love.

I am bi-cultural.
You can be bi-cultural by having one parent being one and the other being another, you can also have two cultures by living in one country and being born in another, or like me where you are born and live in a country different than that of your parents but still carry their country's culture with you. I was born in the United States, and I have lived here my entire life, my parents both moved here at an early age but were both born in Mexico.


Growing up it was confusing I was labeled, Mexican-american, Chicana, Hispanic, Latina, all to which I am not ashamed of but can be derogative making me more of one culture than the other. It was as if just because my family comes from a different country, I am not allowed to consider myself fully american even though I was born here. I knew that because of this many people abandon their roots to be able to be called american but I have never been ashamed of my Mexican roots I cannot deny a part of me. Yes, according to society I am too Mexican for Americans & too American for Mexicans which can cause a confusing battle of what culture to embrace but in truth I stopped  fighting it a long time ago, I am both.

I love being part of two cultures, I believe it's what makes me fall in love with cultures in general & embrace the beauty of our world. Starting the fifteen of this month until the next month Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated & it is why I wanted to share a little of my experience & the things I love about being bi-cultural with you all. I believe it is important now more than ever to show pride in what I am when there is ignorance & hate from people without idea of the power & richness of what cultures can have.

Here are some of my favorite & not so favorite things about growing up with both American & Mexican cultures.


I am fluent in both English & Spanish. I can read, write, speak & understand both languages very well & when necessary I can also mix them creating a strange & fun language of it own. Knowing two languages allows be to understand & connect with people from all over the world, as one or the other are spoken in an incredible amount of countries.

I can listen to music, watch movies, read books, dance, & know some of the best art forms from being part of two cultures. I can love country music as much as I love mariachi, I can watch movies or television of either country & know names of actors. Even though I don't like to dance, in general I know how to dance to traditional dances of both countries.

Oh, the stereotypes. these are some of my least favorite part because I get to face double the doze. To the people who view me more American, I don't talk like a valley girl from California like reality television stars. I am also not a bubbly energetic person who lacks intellect as americans are usually portrayed by foreigners. To the ones who view me more Mexican, I am not lazy, or feisty, or ready to be the sensual mexican women that are played in film & television. Oh & before I forget La Bamba & La Cucaracha are not the only mexican songs that exist.

There is much more history to know & love. It's one of my favorite things to be able to know about the establishment of the American colonies just as much as I know about the ancient civilizations of the Aztecs & Mayans. Or just this past week, there was the remembering of September 11 & the establishment of the US Constitution, & September 16 Mexican Independence Day. I get to fill my heart with amazing stories, some not so amazing but all with richness that make up my culture. I also get to connect with the precedent histories of Britain & Spain.

Last but most definitely not least, FOOD. I am beyond lucky that I get to embrace some of the most delicious yet not at all healthy food. I love my burgers, & hot dogs, & of course steak just as equally as I love my tacos, & burritos, & avocado, & the best gift to the world, chocolate. 

I couldn't be happier to be a part of these two cultures. However, I know they are not the only ones that hold beauty & richness, one of my favorite things is learning & falling in love with the cultures that our world holds.

 What is your culture? Are you more than one? What are you favorite things?