It was a morning like any other I woke up early, got ready for school, my mom did my hair, I ate breakfast & went to elementary school. That early September morning seem to be no different, school stated & the teacher gave her lessons to teach the class. It was soon to be nine am,  we were in the middle of doing some assignment when all of us sudden my teacher turned on the classroom TV on the news where it showed a tall building on fire. I had no idea what it all meant making a connection to Christmas movies I knew this was in New York. 

My teacher sat us all in the carpet as we watched the scene unfold, not even a few minutes passed when a second plane crashed into the second twin tower. The scenes in the television shower two tall buildings on fire, people running, people crying, frantic talking, people jumping of the buildings. I had no idea what was going on, what it all meant, why it was happening, my six year old mind was beyond scared for it all. 

When I went home that day I was so anxious & scared trying to comprehend why so many lives were now gone.  I had many questions, why would someone do this, why are people mean, are the people in the buildings all dead, what happens with their families, will this happen again, will we be okay, will we be safe. It was too much to understand, & only time would answer, some of them not even that. 

The following weeks, the news was an agenda that the 9/11 attack was all that was talked about, in school too. I remember learning about what had happen memorizing it by heart, it was all in a way that we can feel proud of our country & unite in this time of need. I learned many songs from My Country Tis Of Thee, America The Beautiful, & till this day one of my all time favorite Proud To Be An American


I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.

And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.

‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the USA

- Lee Greenwood

Fifteen years later, I am able to understand that this day means to me more than I ever thought. It was my very first encounter with human tragedy that made such a deep impact in my life that will always have a special place in my heart. This day I learned that there is a dark side to humanity, that the good side of humanity can shine through, that even beyond what terrifies me I am proud to be a citizen of my country,

September 11 of 2001, goes down in history, many lives were lost on this day & following with war. It is a day that must be remembered not to hold grudges against people, or countries but to honor the lives of those whose lives were lost, to families, victims, & I hope for peace in the terror of this world. I pray they rest in peace & that they may never be forgotten. 

God Bless America