Writing this is not easy. I have a hard time voicing any opinions, making a political one is terrifying. I am writing this because this issue is not just something is affecting my country but it is affecting my everyday life, people around me and because it goes against my beliefs. We are fighting an issue of injustice, discrimination, hate, ignorance, and so much more. It's sad. What is even sadder is that immigration has been an ongoing issue in the history of this country from the beginning of time, different groups, different centuries, same issue. 

In truth, in this country, we are all immigrants. Immigrants include those who sailed with Columbus or in the Mayflower, the only natives to the land are Native Americans and even then they want to trace their migration to Ice Age era. I am not here to write a history lesson which I can do, but I am taking about what this issue means to me. 

I not only grew up but I live in a border city to Mexico, I know a thing or two about immigration. I know what is like to live in a diverse culturally rich community. To me immigrants are more than just strangers they are; family, friends, teachers, fellow church members, classmates, neighbors, people all around my life. Every day I am able to see two cities that work together and have for a long time, whose cultures bring the best of each other like sister cities. I drive next to the border on my way to university, seeing what divides the two countries are a fence and a river, not a wall.

Please-do-not-enter

I am the daughter of immigrants. I am the granddaughter, the niece, the cousin, the aunt, the friend, the neighbor, the church member, the student, the teacher, the classmate, and more to immigrants. I have seen the dreams that lead them here, the hard work they put to make a better life, the love they have for this country, and what they are willing to give up to be a part of it. Immigrants don't come here to take, they come to give, to share to provide, to work hard, to love, to dream. Immigrants are what makes America great.

Please do not enter is what a ban and wall say. They wall separates more than just a country it separates people, families, and makes a statement. A statement that makes one group less than another, it dehumanizes and tall one you are not worthy or enough. All human life is worthy, we are all enough despite our differences where unity is the strongest weapon. 

It makes me happy to know that many stand together against both issues, not just within the states but the world. Reading the support and activism going on warms my heart and fills me with hope. Hope to keep fighting and be strong with the resistance. 

Thank you for reading, all love,