Hello there everyone!
Today I want to talk about something that has been in my mind lately that made me realize something about myself that is quite eye opening. Last year Dove released a campaign to promote love for curly hair, the commercial is quite adorable but deep in that is little girls talking about why they don't like their curly hair. 

I remember watching it & as a girl with curly hair I understand those little girls because that has been my way of thinking for years. It made me think but was soon as it was over & the video I was actually going to watch started I forgot about. It wasn't until last week when I found myself watching a rerun of the talk show, The Real, that they where having a girl chat about this specific video that allowed me to connect in a deeper level with it. 


I remember that as a little girl I always wore my long curly locks & my mom use to do all sorts of beautiful art with it, I loved my hair. But when I started getting older I began to notice that certain hairstyles didn't look as pretty on my as they did on my little sister who has straight hair. I couldn't just leave my hair & do nothing to it there was always a hairstyle or product to contain the mane. When I brush it it goes frizzy, when I blow dry it, I look like adult Simba & I hated it. 

Magazines & television didn't help it is rare to see a girl or woman with naturally curly hair it was always the silky straight or curl iron curls that once I was older I started to imitate. When I turn 13, my curls where very well hidden as I would straighten my hair everyday or find hairstyles like braids & buns to hide them. 

The years went on & my curls continue hidden, when I was halfway through high school people didn't believe me when I would tell them my hair was actually curly. I damaged my hair severely from the straightening iron & products. The summer before my senior year I cut my hair quite short as a personal symbol. I promised myself that I would also take care of it & not straighten it as often. I was successful for about a month until my insecurities come back & the curls were once again gone. 

It wasn't until about a year & a half that I had enough of it. My hair was full of split ends & no matter what it would break, it was so damaged, I had to do something about it. It stopped ironing my hair & thank God braids were in because that became my new disguise. My hair started growing & it became very healthy & even if there were a few days when I wore it down the insecurity was still there.


I began to notice artist like Shakira, Tori Kelly , even Troye Sivan, who have beautiful curly locks & I started to desire wanting to have my hair like that. The thing is that I already had them it is more of having the confidence & love for them. This past week that I watched the video I had an epiphany, there is no reason I should dislike, even hate something I was born with. I should love my curly mane because that is me & shouldn't have to hide a part of me, I should love all of me.

This past week, I decided that for at least a week I was going to let my curly locks flow. It is something that was very put of my comfort zone the first day I had to stop myself from tying it back. As the week progressed, I even started to like the way it complemented my outfits & getting comfortable with I do believe that hair-styling is an art form, we can be as creative with it as we want, whether is my dyeing it, curling it, straightening it, up dos, down, short, long, whatever it is we do to our hair it should be fun.

 I still want to have fun with my hair but I don't want to pretend or hate the hair I was born with.  I am learning to love them &  even if it is something so small, I feel happy & proud of myself. I also hope that I could set the example for my future children, that beauty comes in all different forms.
Have you ever felt this way about your hair? What are your insecurities? How do you deal with them? I hope you are all doing well & had a wonderful weekend.


With Love, Celeste 

Xxx